As the year comes to a close, now is the time to wrap up all the books on your consignment sale. The most important thing for those of you who have online record keeping, is to download all of your current year bank statements and other financial documents. Many banks and other financial institutions only make your records available online for twelve months. Download your January documents before they are deleted... and while you're at it, go ahead and download the rest so that you are prepared when you start your taxes next month.
My husband and I have recently been looking for new house. Our little home is tiny (under 900 sq feet) and we are trying to find one that will fit our needs better. After much searching, we found a house that we loved. In fact, it was the kind of house, with the kind of sq footage that under normal circumstances, we would never be able to afford. But it was a foreclosure, and boy were we excited when we had the high bid on it. We were set to close the week of the sale (ugh) but we would be in before Christmas!
- a new roof
- new sub flooring in all 3 bathrooms
- new toilets and sinks
- new sub flooring in a 6 foot radius around the front and rear doors
- mold removal under the downstairs bathroom
- new sub flooring in the kitchen
- the gas heat unit needed to be replaced as it was leaking CO2 (in the bedroom my youngest son was about to be sleeping in)
- the gas hot water heater had been installed on a wooden platform (fire hazard, against codes)
- the gas hot water heater had signs of flames shooting out the sides and needed to be replaced
- and again... the hot water heater vent pipe had been installed incorrectly and did not have the proper clearance. It was butted up right next to the eaves instead of having a one inch clearance. The inspector said that was a fire waiting to happen.
- the insulation had been installed incorrectly in the floor and the roof and had to be totally gutted and reinstalled with the proper ventilation for the roof or insulation, and since the house had vaulted ceilings, that meant all of the drywall had to be gutted on the ceiling as well.
- all of the electrical wiring in the garage was installed incorrectly and had to be completely re-wired
- the facia boards need to be replaced from dry rot
- the dormers were not installed correctly and leaked into the house. They also needed to be completely re-sided
- the chimney did not have a proper cap and as a result the stove pipe had rusted and would need to be replaced before we could use it
- one sky light was cracked, but both sky lights were installed incorrectly causing leaking through the roof
- all of the things attached to the roof had been installed over the shingles instead of under them and caused leaking and water damage inside the house
It's hard to believe that our 25th sale is now in the books. One more under our belts. We had awesome Boot Campers. Sherry and Julie are going to do great with their own sales in the Spring. I miss them already.
A couple of days ago, I received a message from a consignamaniac reseller. She wanted me to know that she was paying c-a-s-h for a house!